- We use advanced prescription medicines in a procedure called sclerotherapy to remove unwanted spider veins on your legs. It is administered by our Vein Care Specialist and is used to treat two types of veins:
· Uncomplicated spider veins (very small varicose veins ≤ 1 mm in diameter)
· Uncomplicated small varicose veins (1 to 3 mm in diameter) known as reticular veins In addition to minimizing the appearance of spider veins, sclerotherapy can also provide relief from symptoms like itching and burning.
- What to Expect
- Typical treatment sessions last 15-45 minutes
- Minimal discomfort associated with injections
- Spider veins may become more prominent for the first few days following the injections before their appearance starts to decrease
- Compression wraps or stockings are required for 5-14 days following a treatment session
More About Sclerotherapy
What to Expect
- On average sclerotherapy session takes about 20-45 minutes
- Minimal discomfort at the injection site
- Treated spider veins may become more prominent for a few days before beginning to fade
- Compression stockings or wraps are required to be worn for 10-14 days after treatment
What should I avoid after sclerotherapy treatment?
- Heavy lifting or strenuous exercise
- Sun exposure for 7-14 days as this can cause pigmentation of the skin
- Saunas or hot tub for 10 days
Is sclerotherapy covered by insurance?
Most insurance policies do not provide coverage for treatment of spider or varicose veins for cosmetic purposes. In some situations, sclerotherapy treatment may be considered as a covered medical expense if performed in conjunction with other vein treatment in patients with complex vein disease, bleeding veins or ulcerations. Treatment cost and coverage can be discussed with one of our Premier Vein care providers at your free initial consultation.